Pride and How it Can Harm Your Chances in Jannah

A quote on my page today says:

 Pride in the case of a rich man is bad, but pride in the case of a poor man is worse. Abu Bakr(RA)"

So what exactly does this mean?

Pride in the rich because he is rich is bad, but for a poor person to be so proud he refuses help is worse.  There is a difference between humbleness and arrogance.  A man with 20 million dollars who gives charity often and helps the poor and the needy is a devout person.  If you remember the ways of Abu Bakr (RA) and Omar Kitab (RA) they gave so much of their wealth.

In today's society we see more and more who are keeping money in their pockets and shunning others.  Paying zakat is not enough.  Our money belongs to Allah and we must help those in need.  I have been blessed in this life.  I was a very rich woman in America and owned my own business there.  Had everything you could desire, but I always gave lots of charity.

When I came to Jordan, the tables turned and I became poor.  When my husband died I had not one penny and Allah took care of me.  For 7 years I was on charity and the people here took care of me.  Times changed and money was short and I asked Allah for a job and he opened doors for me.  I know how it is to be rich and how to be poor and Allah tested me on both levels.  Being rich taught me that my money increased as I gave more.  Being poor taught me that the rich who helped me when I was poor were the best in Islam.

Now that I have money again, I never forget the poor, as it is something we must all remember.  For a rich man to go around with gold watches and jewelry, which is haram by the way with his head in the air is completely forbidden in Islam.

A poor man must not refuse help either.  If I want to help a poor person, he must not turn his head up in arrogance declaring Allah will help him.  Allah has sent me to help him and he should say only Shukran to Allah.  On the other hand, if a man is poor and he asked no one but Allah for help, it is much better.  We all should depend on Allah for our living expenses, but we must try to work. It is better to work than to hold out our hands in begging. More blessed is the one who gives than the one who holds out his hand asking.

Read my article on Begging in Islam.

 Why is Begging Unlawful in Islam?

There are three primary reasons why begging is prohibited. According to Islam:

  1. Begging will cause the Muslim to lose dependence on Allah alone. The Muslim turns from asking Allah for money and support and turns to asking men for help.
  2. The Muslim who begs lowers himself before others and thus loses honor and dignity.
  3. The Muslim who begs causes others to go without. Muslims are afraid to anger Allah by not helping the beggar and the person who gives charity and does not have the funds, feels a loss of property for their family
Prophet Mohammad, (peace be upon him) said, "Anyone who begs from people in order to increase his wealth will have his face scratched on the Day of Resurrection, and will eat burning stones from Hell; so let him reduce it (his punishment) or let him increase it as he pleases." (Reported by At-Tirmidhi)

All Muslims fear judgment day and the day when one meets Allah; one must explain their actions in this life and how the time was spent.
in the Quran it says

"That home of the Hereafter (i.e., Jannah), We shall assign to those who rebel not against the truth with pride and oppression in the land nor do mischief by committing crimes. And the good end is for the Muttaqun (the pious and righteous persons).'' (28:83)

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "On the Day of Resurrection, Allah will not look at him who trails his lower garment out of pride.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

He who has, in his heart, an ant's weight of arrogance or pride, will not enter Jannah.'' Someone said: "A man likes to wear beautiful clothes and shoes?'' Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Allah is Beautiful, He loves beauty. Arrogance and pride mean ridiculing and rejecting the Truth and despising people.''
[Muslim]

RasoolAllah (saw) is reported to have said, 'that person who has an iota of pride will not enter Jannah.'